Sunday 13 February 2011

Twitter

I woke up this morning and confronted an issue that has been troubling me for some time: Why am I unable to articulate myself well in the long form of writing? For the first time I am going to post on the internet in a complete stream of conscientiousness. In the real world I have -- I think-- a very good grasp of communicating with people face to face. I find it very easy to start conversations, with anyone, on just about any subject. I am also quite capable of developing arguments and at the same time empathising with those whom I am engaged with. I enjoy verbal communication immensly; I would put it down as the main reason I enjoy going down the pub - beer does help though. So why is it, I am completely useless at articulating myself through writing?

Recently I have become addicted to using the micro-blogging site Twitter. One of Twitters drawbacks is actually an advantage to me personally - and I am certain, many others too. If you only have 140 characters to get your message across then fancy words are not really that important. Another advantage - over essay writing - is simple: I do not need to engage in a lengthy and daunting reply where my writing skills may be used as an argument against my intellect. Argument on Twitter is brilliant; it becomes like a wrestling match, where one person tries their hardest to concede submission from their opponent. This works rather well when there are a number of people (spectators) watching a particular hash tag and cheering you on.

Yes I am crap at writing in the long form; I feel like a hod carrier attempting brain surgery. Who do I blame? Well who else can I blame other than my comprehensive school and my parents. I don't really blame my parents as they were never academic. The only person who had any form of higher education was my uncle (who became a toolmaker and obtained an HND in engineering). My parents didn't have money and there was only one school that was an option. The blame must surely go to St. Birinus School in Didcot. My English language lessons were to a large extent ruled by apathy and anarchy. Some teachers couldn't command respect and the class deteriorated into a scene from the Lord of the flies; other teachers were hard on discipline - to the extent we were shit scared - and unapproachable. How on earth could I become motivated under these conditions? If you didn't get into the A stream you were doomed as far as English language lessons were concerned.

Once I had left school and joined the Army there was no need for writing skills. The telephone was all that was necessary to convey messages. None of the jobs I have had (since I left the Army) have required me to use the written word either. The internet has changed all that. Suddenly, ordinary people can have their voices heard globally. This development is obviously a good thing, because exchange of ideas has an unlimited potential for human development. It is also an incredibly powerful means of protest.

So I will do my very best to improve my writing, but if all else fails, fuck it, Twitter is fucking uber cool for ranting and raving. Long may it continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment